There's a reason why Grand Haven State Park was named one of the best secret beaches ON EARTH! The 48-acre park rests on the sandy shores of pristine Lake Michigan. Visitors can sunbathe and keep tabs on the passing freighters out on the big lake, or the watch the sailboats coming and going from the Grand River channel. Cute shops and delicious eateries are just minutes by foot (Check out the infamous Pronto Pups!). Camping at Grand Haven State Park books up early every year, and there's good reason why! Another Grand Haven RV option includes Campers Paradise, a smaller private campground with 107 sites just two miles form the beach. Although the park is inland, it is also located within city limits, is close to shopping and restaurants. Campers Paradise offers full electrical hook-up with laundry facilities and free WiFi. * * * Muskegon, not simply because we're from Muskegon, but also because of our miles of magnificent shoreline, towering dunes, and record-setting roller coasters. Our sunsets are spectacular from every corner of the county, and we're proud of our squeaky clean sandy beaches. Whether you're an angler, a hiker, love water skiing or simply floating down a lazy river, Muskegon is an RVer's paradise.
- Hoffmaster State Park in the southern part of the county includes a 297 site modern campground nestled under a fortress of pine & dunes, with 3 miles of sandy Lake Michigan shoreline. Visitors enjoy its Gillette Sand Dune Visitor Center but return for the miles of dune hiking and stunning views of Lake Michigan.
- Muskegon State Park offers campers two miles of sandy Lake Michigan shoreline, and 1 mile of great fishing on Muskegon Lake frontage, which includes a boat launch and fishing pier. Choose a modern RV site at the foot of a dune or along the Muskegon Lake Channel across from the USS Silversides and Great Lakes Naval Museum. The park also includes 12 miles of hiking trails and a bathhouse on Lake Michigan. Michigan's Adventure is also only ten minutes away!
- Duck Creek RV Resort is a newer resort located directly across from Michigan's Adventure. The resort is a modern campground featuring extended amenities including a laundry room, camp store, and paved roads. The family will love the heated pool & spa, or just sitting back watching the coasters go up, down and around from across the road.
- Lake Sch-Nepp-A-Ho offers RVers full hook-up, large pull-thru lots, and the choice of a wooded or lake-front site. Visitors will enjoy the 2-mile proximity to Michigan's Adventure and the family atmosphere.
- Pioneer Park is a Muskegon County-maintained park located with 2,000 feet of Lake Michigan frontage, about 5 minutes north of Muskegon State Park. The park features 235 wooded sites under old oak, maple, and pine trees, with water and electric hook-ups, restrooms, showers, and a dump station. This park is a family-favorite with plenty of activities offered for the young and young-at-heart!
Check back later this week for camping suggestions near Ludington and Silver Lake, and in the meantime, please leave us your own tips for camping in West Michigan! This week we're talking about the best West Michigan campgrounds from Grand Haven north to Sleeping Bear Dunes. There are so many awesome places to take the family we had to break it into two separate posts. Read our blog about the best campgrounds in Grand Haven and Muskegon. Big Sable Point Lighthouse located at Ludington State Park offers spectacular views of Lake Michigan. Silver Lake is a top destination for ATV adventurists from all over the US. Its sand dunes are the only dunes east of Utah where private motorized vehicles are allowed to drive! (April 1-Oct. 31 only) There are dozens of great nearby camping options, so we'll quickly highlight just a few closest to the main attractions.
- Cartier Park Campground is a full hook-up park located on Lincoln Lake, only minutes from the Ludington car ferry, city beach, and Ludington State Park. Rent by day, week, or month.
- Kibby Creek Travel Park is conveniently located in the quiet country between Ludington and Pentwater. The park includes laundry and game rooms, fish ponds and cleaning stations (with freezers). The kids will love the heated swimming pool and playground.
- Lakeview Campsite is situation on beautiful Upper Hamlin Lake 10 miles north of Ludington. The park includes 110 large sites with electric and water hook-ups, dump station, swimming pool, convenience store, group camping area, boat docking, excellent fishing and plenty of wildlife.
- Laman's Landing also located on Upper Hamlin Lake, this family campground offers large shaded lots with full hook-up. Fun extras include a heated indoor-outdoor pool, boat launch and docks.
- Poncho's Pond R.V. Park boasts 250 modern campsites with full hook-up, a fitness center, two outdoor heated pools and one indoor pool, plus two spas.
- Silver Creek RV Resort is a newer RV resort close to Silver Lake Sand Dunes. The resort has 257 sites with full hook-up, cable, telephone, sewer, water, camp store, heated pool & spa, kid's pool & playground. The RV park is also close to Lake Michigan and Silver Lake beaches.
- Vacation Station RV Resort is conveniently located near downtown Ludington and Lake Michigan, offering guests 155 level sites with full hook-up, paved roads, heated pool and spa, laundry, store/snack bar, game room, and clubhouse.
Most Beautiful Place in America," Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is truly a naturalist's paradise – and one of the country's best RVing destinations! Thousands of visitors flock here each year from every corner of the globe to simply take in the break taking views of the Manitou Islands and to master the challenge of climbing the 400 foot towering dune. Hundreds of awesome campgrounds spot the northwest corner of the Lower Peninsula, so it's very difficult for us to narrow down our favorites. There are so many, with options from hike-in rustic to full hookup and free cable television. For a good starting point, check out the National Park's two RV campgrounds, the Platte River Campground or D.H. Day Campground, but make sure you start early in the year! According to the National Parks Service, the Platte River Campground is almost always full from June through Labor Day, however 25% of the sites can be reserved by calling up to 6 months in advance. NPS is currently working to upgrade the reservation system so that 65% of the park can be reserved ahead of time, with extended camping through Oct. 1. The remaining sites are considered first-come, first-serve. The Platte River Campground is often considered Sleeping Bear's modern RV campground. RVers can choose from many back-in and pull-through sites that include electrical service. Dump stations are located at the entrance, and hot showers are available for a $1 fee. D.H. Day Camp is considered Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore's rustic RV-friendly campground because of its wooded setting and more rugged conditions. Reservations are not accepted for any of the 88 private sites, and there are no electric hook-ups or showers. However, if you're looking for a quiet family camping experience with close proximity to the beach, you'll enjoy the park's offerings. Visitors are treated to ranger-led evening programs highlighting Sleeping Bear Dunes' pristine environment. For more information on "The Best Nature Escape in the Midwest," visit www.nps.gov/slbe.