This recipe features a cabbage slaw that is served over grilled tilapia fillets and with about 15 minutes of prep time and under 10 minutes of cook time is easy to prepare in your RV's kitchen or campsite's picnic table.
Ingredients you will need:
1 tsp. chipotle seasoning
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 Tbs. honey
1/8 cup lime juice
4 cups shredded purple or red cabbage
1 cup chopped onion
1/8 cup fresh chopped cilantro (with an additional 1/2 cup chopped cilantro set aside for the fish)
Package of taco sized soft flour tortilla shells
2 lb (1 lb makes 5-6 tacos, 2 lb makes 10-12) fresh or IQF frozen tilapia fillets, thawed
Preparing the slaw:
- Combine shredded cabbage and chopped onions in a large mixing bowl.
- Add mayonnaise and sour cream to vegetable mixture. If you want a creamier consistency to the slaw, add another 1/8 to 1/4 cup of sour cream.
- Add honey and lime juice to mixture. For a sweeter taste, add an additional 1/2 to full tablespoon of honey.
- Add chopped cilantro. If you are a cilantro fan like me, feel free to add cilantro to taste.
- Stir until all ingredients are thoroughly blended, place in your refrigerator and chill.
Preparing the fish:
- Preheat your grill or your campfire's grill.
- Lay tilapia fillets out and brush olive oil onto the bottom side of the fish fillets.
- Once heated and cleaned off, brush grill rack with olive oil as well.
- Lay tilapia fillets onto the grill, oiled side down.
- Sprinkle paprika and then cilantro on top side of the fish to taste.
- Lower heat and cover your grill, cook the fish for about 5-6 minutes (without turning) until fish is white and flaky.
To serve, place a tilapia fillet onto your flour tortilla and place a heaping spoonful of the cabbage slaw over the fish. Fold tortilla and enjoy!
For best results, I strongly recommend pairing fish tacos with your favorite tortilla chips, guacamole recipe and a favorite soft drink or local micro brew. We hope you enjoyed this recipe, check back in to Campground Cooking next week as we will keep the seafood theme going and feature a Shrimp Boil recipe brought to you by SJ from Lakeshore RV.