Get ready for this throwback! Sand art is a fun activity that will keep your little campers entertained and yield some really pretty results! Experiment with different patterns and colors to make a neat new RV decoration! Here’s how to make pretty sand-filled glass bottles!
What You’ll Need:
- Sand (you can buy pre-colored sand from craft stores, or make your own)
- Clear bottle with cap or cork, glass or plastic is fine
- Skewer, pencil, or any small, thin, stick-like object
- Funnel or piece of paper
- Colored chalk (optional)
- Food coloring (optional)
- This is a fun activity you can do either indoors or outdoors. If you’d like to keep sand off the table, especially inside, lay some newspaper or a garbage bag down to catch loose sand!
- (Optional step) If you would like to color your own sand, place a piece of paper or wax paper on a baking sheet, place your sand on the paper, and run chalk over it until the desired color is achieved. -OR- Mix food coloring with water and add to sand. It is recommended to use four parts of sand to one part of water. Mix colored water into sand and let it absorb. Drain access water and either let the sand dry overnight, or bake in the oven at 250 degrees until completely dried.
- Either roll your piece of paper into a funnel, or use your actual funnel to pour sand into the bottle. Experiment with different layering techniques and colors for a unique pattern! Use your skewered or stick object to push sand down and around for a cool blended look!
- Once you’ve achieved your desired pattern, make sure the bottle is filled as far to the top as you can get it, and pack it down as much as you can. Designs can be destroyed if the sand has room to move around! Place your cap on and you’re done!
You can use your lovely sand-filled glass bottles to decorate your RV or campsite! The kiddos will love this fun activity, especially if they get to gather and color their own sand! This project doesn’t have to be just for kids either! Place a small vase inside a larger vase and fill the sand in around the smaller one. Place flowers, succulents, or plants in the smaller vase and you have a fun and beautiful decoration! Share you favorite sand art creation with us in the comments!