It's time to think outside the box for camping dinners! If you find yourself craving pizza while RVing, don't be tempted to call the area pizza parlor for a pie! Try out these amazing campfire pizza tomatoes, which are a healthy and easy alternative that will satisfy those pizza cravings! We've included a fairly basic recipe, but you can add just about any topping or alternative to make these perfect for you!
What You'll Need:
- 6 medium tomatoes
- Meat of choice, such as pepperoni, ham, sausage
- Veggies of choice, such as mushrooms, peppers, onions, etc.
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Oregano or Italian seasoning
- Olive oil
- Aluminum foil
- Use a small knife to cut the core out of each tomato.
- Cut the top of the tomato off, about half an inch down from the top.
- Use a spoon to carefully scoop out the tomato pulp and seeds as best you can, taking care not to break the tomato's skin.
- If you have any raw meats, brown your meat in a skillet over your campfire. Brown your vegetables as well if you don't want them particularly crisp. Sprinkle with oregano or seasoning.
- Cut squares of aluminum foil large enough to completely wrap each tomato. Lightly bush foil with olive oil.
- Fill each tomato with your meat and veggie mixture. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and wrap the tomato in aluminum foil, leaving a little space at the top so that the cheese doesn't melt to the foil.
- Once you have good cooking coals, place your tomatoes on the coals, making sure to keep the cheese side up, and cook for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the filling is warmed.
- Remove tomatoes from the coals, allow them to cool for a minute or two, and enjoy!
These tasty and toasty campfire pizza tomatoes will satisfy those pizza cravings in a nutritious, unique way! These are great for anyone with diet restrictions, as they are low carb, and can easily be made with vegetarian substitutions! What are your favorite pizza toppings that you would stuff your pizza tomatoes with? Comment to share your ideas!