Don’t forget to eat your breakfast campers! We all know breakfast is the most important part of the day and for you active campers out there, eating a healthy breakfast will give you the energy you need to be at your best throughout the day. So while we are camping lets not forget to eat our breakfast. I have found a fancy oatmeal recipe that you can easily cook over your campfire during your next adventure. Enjoy!
OATMEAL OVER THE FIRE
Here are the supplies you will need:
1 ¾ cup water
1 ¾ cup milk
2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
1 tbs cinnamon
Maple syrup (if you happen to be camping in Vermont, you are in luck, as everyone knows Vermont Maple Syrup is the best!)
¼ cup chopped dates
¼ cup raisins
¼ cup pecans
A medium or large pot for over the fire
- Let’s begin by adding the water and milk to the pot and slowly bring it to a boil over the fire. Be careful that you don’t let it boil so quickly that it burns the milk!
- Once it starts to boil add the oats and the cinnamon.
- Allow the mixture to thicken, stir often, add the remaining ingredients and heat all the way through.
- Adjust the flavor according to your liking with more or less syrup.
- Feel free to garnish the top of your bowl with more maple syrup or even butter if you’d like.
I hope you enjoy this over the fire oatmeal recipe, let me know what you thought about it. Time to go as it is snack time and this is making me hungry! Until next time, this has been SJ from Lakeshore RV with another installment of Campfire Cooking. RV Terms