Pineapple upside down cake is one of my all-time favorite desserts. So last summer I scoured the internet for easy pineapple upside down cake recipes I could modify for camping. I stumbled upon a recipe for cute mini pineapple cakes, and with a few quick changes, had a perfect recipe for camping! I hope you love it like I do!
- 6 sheets heavy duty aluminum foil
- 1 package prepared sponge cake shells (usually in the bakery or produce section)
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple, drained (save the juice!)
- 1/3 cup of nuts (pecans work great!)
Directions (Makes 6 servings
- Spray the aluminum sheets with cooking spray, and place a sponge cake shell in the center of each sheet. Spoon the crushed pineapple into the cakes, dividing it equally, and sprinkle each cake with about 1 tsp of brown sugar and about 2 teaspoons of nuts. Top each cake with 3 maraschino cherries, and drizzle 1 to 2 teaspoons of the pineapple juice over each cake.
- Wrap the cakes in the foil, leaving some room at the top for air circulation. Place the foil packs onto a hot grill over your campfire and cook about 10 minutes, or until the cakes are hot and bubbling.
PS: This are just as delicious baked in an oven at home!